It wouldn’t be New Year without a round-up of sorts, so here’s a look back at my favourite travel moments of 2015. Here’s to another year of new places, tastes and fun discoveries, near and far. Where will you be heading in 2016?
1. Following in the footsteps of Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I and II by spending the night in the 900-year-old, Amberley Castle
2. Spending an afternoon browsing the vintage home stores, coffee shops and beer garden at 44 Stanley, Johannesburg
3. Catching a red snapper with my bare hands (and some fishing line) off the side of a dhoni boat in the Maldives.. and eating it as sashimi for dinner straight after
4. Falling for the wildflower patch at Capel Manor Gardens, and vowing to find a place to plant my own
5. Admiring the beautiful ceramic tiles all over Portugal’s capital, Lisbon
6. Discovering the delicious sparkling wines being produced in the verdant vineyards of Gusbourne Estate, Kent
7. Eating the best mozzarella of my life on the rocks in Polignano a Mare, and tucking into freshly netted fish, and crisp, Italian rose, in Pescaria
8. Learning to kite surf in the bath-warm, crystal clear waters, in front of the mighty Le Morne Brabant Mountain, in Mauritius
10. Coveting the colourful fishing boats of Gallipoli
11. Appreciating the nature and beauty on my doorstep with plenty of winter walks
All photos copyright Gabrielle Sander.